Saturday, March 25, 2017

Interview?

Since I have been working on the design of my magazine, I feel that I have allowed myself to neglect the story I want to write.  Therefore, it is time to revisit the story!

A while before (a couple weeks ago, I think), I asked Ms. Stoklosa about what I could do for my story, and she suggested I do an interview.  While I liked the sound of that idea, at the time, it only allowed me to continue on with my project in the direction I had been going and had not produced any concrete elements within the story I wished to construct.  However, I still want to utilize that idea.  That's why I have recently been searching for someone to interview.  Well, actually that might be a bit of an exaggeration because it is more accurate to say that I stumbled across a person who seemed like a good fit for an interview and I went on from there. 

While I was researching weeds, I made my way to http://www.fleppc.org/.  This website is that of the Florida Exotic Pest Plant Council.  It even had its own magazine about weeds called Wildland Weeds.  I looked through the magazine, which was abundant in information but was a bit lacking in the formatting department; nonetheless, it was cute and educational.  After going through some of the other information on the page, I began to remember and consider the idea of an interview because obviously the people who put together the magazine and were major members of the organization would be very knowledgeable about weeds.  

This brought me to searching the website for the contributors and eventually finding them under the "Contact Us" tab.  Reading through the bios was fun and reinforced the idea that these people were extremely knowledgeable and experienced in this field.  In addition to providing information about these people, their bios also included contact information, as the tab title had stated.  I decided to email Christen Mason, the Chair of the Land Resources Bureau, South Florida Water Management District.  

In my email, I explained my project and asked her if she would like to answer some questions about weeds.  Her response time to the email was super fast; it only took her two hours to get back to me.  She was excited about the prospect of the interview and agreed to it wholeheartedly.  

While my email response time is not nearly as impressive as hers, I hope the content in my next email will make up for the wait.  I plan on emailing her with a list of questions tomorrow.  I'll make sure to include my questions in my next post.  Hopefully, Ms. Mason will keep up her reputation of fast response time so that I can include some of her responses in my next post as well.  We'll just have to wait and see!

Citations:
"FLEPPC." Florida Exotic Pest Plant Council. N.p., n.d. Web. 24 Mar. 2017.

No comments:

Post a Comment