Sunday, March 12, 2017

It's Got to Look Pretty!

As the title implies, this post is all about "the look" of my magazine, specifically the cover.  

The first thing I did was to revisit the page that showed the "Top 10 Nature Magazines".  This gave me some ideas regarding the nature of the cover page.  I naturally gravitated toward the magazines that featured few cover lines, striking images, and an absence of yellow used solely for garnering attention.  (Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of yellow, but the color seems like it's being used to yell at the audience in these examples, and it's a bit jarring.)  I'd like to create a product where the main focus is the cover image and where the cover lines are present but not the main focus. 

Moving on from that decision, I began to look at other examples of magazine covers within my chosen genre.  To do that, I looked at nature.com.  There, I was able to look at recent issues of their magazine, and the one from the past week caught my eye specifically.  The cool colors of this issue of Nature were a step in the direction that I wanted to take.  However, the picture was computer generated, and I was looking to use a photograph for my front cover.  Therefore, there was still more research to be done.  

I continued to look up nature/science magazines, but this was a bit difficult because the most common results were concerning Nature, the specific magazine company that I had already researched.  However, I typed in “environmental magazines” and was able to find this blog.  It showed some good examples of what I would like to produce, especially the TIME magazine and the one from PhotoMedia.  I really liked the play on a famous picture done by the TIME magazine, but even more so did I enjoy the striking cover of the PhotoMedia sample with the lemur on the front that looked straight toward the camera.  Since taking a picture of a mammal or other high order animal could prove difficult, it may be in my best interest to work with either insects, arachnids, or plants.

Still, I wanted to keep looking at different possibilities, so I checked out some photos from the NWF's website.  These pictures may not have been magazine covers specifically, but the still provided ideas. Looking at this website, I saw even more examples of really great
beautiful nature subjects, the kind of things I would like to emulate.  However, it was becoming more and more obvious that photographing an animal would be extremely difficult and overall hard to execute.  Instead, I’m thinking that taking a picture of an insect or arachnid like a butterfly or a spider would be much easier.  I know I have some nice spider webs in my front yard that look really amazing when they are covered in dew in the early morning.  Maybe that could be what is on my cover or perhaps on the two-page spread instead.

From my research, I have found a lot of different options, but I'm not ready yet to commit to any one direction.  My goal for the next week will be to have some concrete decisions made so that the planning can commence. 

Citations:
"Environmental Magazine Covers." Tomjroberts2's Blog. N.p., 07 Dec. 2009. Web. 12 Mar. 2017.
"Top 10 Nature Magazines." All You Can Read. N.p., n.d. Web. 12 Mar. 2017.
"Volume 543 Number 7643." Nature News. Nature Publishing Group, n.d. Web. 12 Mar. 2017.

No comments:

Post a Comment