Friday, March 24, 2017

Meetings

I was recently able to meet with different people to discuss my project in two separate meetings, with my peers and with my teacher.  Both brought me insightful information concerning the direction of my project, and I look forward to utilizing it.

The first meeting took place on Tuesday with my peers.  All of the five people I met with were working on film openings, so their comments weren’t always following the same kind of applicability that I had imgained.  From the presentation of my idea, however, I was able to notice some problems with the preliminary layout of my project, such as the single page Table of Contents and arrangement of the Double Page spread.  These issues were largely cleared up with the second meeting.

The second discussion took place with my teacher Ms. Stoklosa.  I raised to her my concerns regarding the unbroken text on the right side of my double page spread, and she suggested a sidebar.  I also told her that I was thinking about possibly switching the cover page image with the image on the left page of the double page spread, but she agreed with my initial vision of an intense visual component on the double page spread.  She also showed me some examples that looked like the kind of style I wanted to emulate.  I really liked this example because it had both an engaging visual component and a sidebar.  So I will be leaving the picture of the dandelion where it is.  However, I still want to try and fix the cover image to make it look more engaging.  For my table of contents, she confirmed my concerns that my Table of Contents was too small.  Because of this, I think I will move to make it into a two-page layout where the two sides will produce a visual contrast, as the stories they concern will be different, such as with stories common to the magazine as well as feature stories. 

With all of this information of consider, I decided to look up some examples of table of contents pages that followed the direction I want to go in right now since I already some examples of double page spreads.  These two articles (1) (2) were especially helpful, and I would really like to emulate the kind of layout that was presented in them because of the engaging visuals and contrast between large stories and smaller stories.

These suggestions and pieces of information will help to promote a more directed approach towards creating a fully realized magazine, and I can't wait to implement them!

Citations:
Design, Kalico. "Stowaway Spring 2014." Pinterest. N.p., 23 Jan. 2014. Web. 23 Mar. 2017.
"Discovery Channel Magazine September 2012 Table of Contents." Library Media Center. N.p., 20 Sept. 2012. Web. 23 Mar. 2017.
Nikola. "Structure of the Magazine." Magazine Designing. N.p., 14 Oct. 2013. Web. 23 Mar. 2017.

No comments:

Post a Comment